Friday, 17 February 2012

Doll Joints

In the morning I found myself trapped in the doldrums, a silly place to visit when you are so lucky and fortunate as me. I was so annoyed with myself for drifting there. Happily I managed to steer myself out of that dreary place, where it always rains, and work on my next Lolita Poppets doll. Here are the baked Fimo doll pieces ready to assemble. As planned I made a torso with two horizontal bores and one vertical bore. The head has a central vertical bore. Each limb has a bore hole through the top of it.

The next step was to assemble the doll. As it was my first attempt at a jointed doll I was making it up as I went along. I devised a system using spandex elastic, thin wire and, one of my favourite materials in the world: buttons! After some fiddling I had doll joints that were pulled tight enough by the elastic and strengthened by the wire but still moveable. YAY!

This view shows the button holder at the top of the doll's head. When I was sculpting the doll head I made a small dip so that the button does not make too much of a bump on the top of the doll's head. The button holder will be completely covered with the doll's hair:

This photo shows the button holder at the base of the doll which joins the head to the body. The button joints look a bit obvious now but they will all be covered by clothing. :)

Next it was time to bring the doll to life. You can see the completed doll here.

No comments:

Post a Comment